Search This Blog

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Dogs in the village

I’ve been in the village now for over six months and have spoken too many of you. One of the biggest concerns people have is over dogs. Out of control dogs to be exact.

I walk my two Staffordshire Bull Terriers at least twice a day using both roads and footpath/bridal ways, I’m sure you have seen me. If you have you will notice they are both on leads and under my full control. The only time they are off the lead is when at home, in my garden or individually when away from built up areas. If I see someone approaching, with or without a dog they go straight back on the lead. Now that’s not because of the breed of dogs they are it’s because I am a responsible owner. There are people within the village who, in my opinion do not fall into the same category.

·         My wife and I were walking our dogs, both on leads, along The Street when a large Labrador type dog came charging out of an adjacent field. It ran straight at my dogs barking and snarling. Lucky I was there and I got between my dogs and the approaching aggressive dog grabbing it before it could attack them. It had neither lead nor any collar, its owner appeared, made no apology for his dog and just walked past as if nothing was happening. I kept hold of the struggling dog until it was safe to release it.

·         Again walking both my dogs I entered the Meer close to the playground only to be confronted by a loose Springer Spaniel. It made toward me so I walked the opposite way. A few moments later I continued up the Meer as the dog had disappeared. When I got to the top I could see the same dog by the War Memorial, it again came towards me. I turned right and followed the fence into the wooded area. It was then I was aware of who I assume was the owner near the church using a whistle to get the dog to return, which it didn’t. In any event the church to the playground is some 500 yds and out of line of site.

That’s just two incidents that I can think of that has happened to me and I don’t consider the owners of the dogs to have been in proper control of their animals. There are many more including persons being bitten, knocked over and dog against dog attacks. There are people who will not walk their dogs in certain parts of the village because of this.

We all live in a rural community and there are a lot of dog owners, nobody is saying you shouldn’t have a dog but what is required is for a dog owner to be responsible for the actions of their dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment